Android application to integrate NFC with a Vera home automation controller
NOTE: support for this application has been discontinued
Android NFC integration with the MiCasaVerde's Vera home automation controller. Activate any Vera scene by bumping your android phone on a NFC sticker.
NOTE: To operate, this application requires the existence of a properly configured MiCasaVerde Vera home controller and an Android device (Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 or later) with WiFi configured on your local network/subnet.
Easily activate any configured Vera home automation scene by bumping your Android device on a NFC sticker. Easily and inexpensively place lighting "scene controllers" all over the place (i.e. coffee table, desk, kitchen table, TV remote control, etc). To activate a scene, simply place your android device on the sticker and the application will automatically launch and send a scene-activation command to the Vera controller.
- MiCasaVerde Vera home automation controller (more info), properly configured.
- Android device (Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 or later) configured for local WiFi network (to talk with Vera).
- NDEF compatible NFC tags. Here are some ones that I have validated to work: (NTAG203)
- RainShadow Vera NFC application available on the Google Play store.
How this works (assuming Vera system is already set up)
- Install the RainShadow Vera NFC application from the Google Play store.
- Launch application.
- Configure the application to have the local IP address of your Vera controller.
- The application will automatically contact the controller and download all available scenes.
- Program as many NFC tags as you would like by using the "Program NFC Tag" dialog, selecting the desired scene, and placing the android device over the sticker to program it.
- After that, simply place the phone over any of the programed NFC tags and the Vera scene will automatically execute.
The application is available *free* on the Google Play store. It is a fully functioning trial version that never expires. Because it is free, though, every time that an NFC sticker is read and the scene is executed, a pop-up notification is left on the device in hopes of becoming mildly annoying.
That said, if you like the application and happen to be feeling generous, donations are graciously accepted. To do so, simply purchase the RainShadow Vera NFC License Key application from the Google Play store for about $3 USD. When the license key application is loaded onto the device, the pop-up screen will no longer appear.